According to Coley Harvey of ESPN, center fielder Aaron Hicks will begin the season on the Injured List. Hicks, who recently signed a seven-year, $70MM extension, has been sidelined due to a lower back injury.
When Hicks first suffered the injury, there was still hope that the switch-hitting outfielder could be available come Opening Day. After previously receiving a cortisone shot for the injury, the Yankees medical staff determined on Saturday that Hicks would need an additional shot to help the treatment. According to reports, Hicks received the second cortisone shot earlier this morning.
Aaron Boone says the Yankees are being aggressive with the treatment of Aaron Hicks’ back (the cortisone shot), but adds they’re acting out of an abundance of caution. Had this injury popped up in the middle of season, Hicks likely plays through it, Boone said.
Aaron Boone spoke to reporters and said that the organization is being aggressive, but yet also cautious, in regards to Hicks’ back treatment. Boone believes that Hicks would have been able to play through the injury if the team was in the middle part of the regular season.
Although he will begin the season on the injured list, there is hope that Hicks will not miss an extended period of time. If the Yankees decided to backdate his injury, it is possible that the 29-year-old could be back on the field in time for the team’s second series of the season against the Detroit Tigers.
Along with the absence of Hicks, the Yankees are set to begin the season without some other key contributors, including Luis Severino and CC Sabathia. Top prospect Estevan Florial is now set to miss time, as the 21-year-old suffered a non-displaced right wrist fracture during yesterday’s spring training action.
As the season edges closer, the Yankees are hoping that the injury bug stops haunting the organization.
With the season just around the corner, continue to follow the Bronx Pinstripes team regarding all the latest news and updates surrounding the New York Yankees.