According to YES reporter Meredith Marakovits, Michael Pineda’s MRI has revealed a Grade 1 strain in his back. It is the teres major muscle, right under his shoulder blade of his pitching arm. The Yankees have said they are going to shut Pineda down for ten days then, reevaluate him. He is expected to miss 3-4 weeks all together.
Pineda MRI revealed grade 1 strain back muscle #Yankees
The problem is Pineda cannot be placed on the disabled list until his 10-day suspension is up. As of right now the Yankees will keep David Phelps in his place, but down the road the Yankees are going to need at the very least some bullpen help. If they decide to go out of the organization and look at possible trades, that remains to be seen. GM Brian Cashman will likely try to piece it together with players in house and in the minors, but it might be tough. Alfredo Aceves is working his way back up in Scranton, but has an opt-out option on July 1. Another option for the Yankees could be Chase Whitley, who has been pretty solid in Scranton, going five scoreless in each of his last 2 starts. Phelps is scheduled to start in the place of Pineda tomorrow, and will be have pitch count of about 75-80.
Latest posts by Nicholas Tarnowsky (see all)
- Yankees get Gonzalez Germen from the Mets - December 19, 2014
- Yankees trade Prado and Phelps to Marlins for Nathan Eovaldi, Garrett Jones - December 19, 2014
- Alex Rodriguez now full-time DH says Cashman - December 16, 2014
- Yankees retain Chris Capuano on 1-year deal - December 16, 2014
- Girardi likes what he sees from A-Rod so far - December 10, 2014