UPDATE: Nova has been placed on the 15-day DL
Elbow injuries are no laughing matter, and Ivan Nova would agree. After an MRI late last night, Nova has been diagnosed with a partially torn UCL in his elbow. He said he felt a ‘pop’ after he threw his final pitch last night. The ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) tear is potentially a Tommy John surgery ligament. We’ve seen a lot of that going around this year, handfuls of young pitchers are opting for it nowadays. Nova is heading back to New York for a second opinion tomorrow. This is bad news for an already beat up pitching staff. For the short term Nova probably will be heading to the disabled list, just as precautionary measure even if the second opinion says otherwise. It will be all hands on deck if Nova is out for the ten count.
Some other quick notes, Mark Teixeira is back and will be in the lineup today. The Yankees have optioned Scott Sizemore back to Scranton and Matt Daley has been designated for assignment. Pitchers Preston Claiborne and Bryan Mitchell are in the bullpen. Hopefully the team will be able to get through today, and long term Nova will come back healthy and ready to pitch.
Latest posts by Nicholas Tarnowsky (see all)
- Yankees get Gonzalez Germen from the Mets - December 19, 2014
- Yankees trade Prado and Phelps to Marlins for Nathan Eovaldi, Garrett Jones - December 19, 2014
- Alex Rodriguez now full-time DH says Cashman - December 16, 2014
- Yankees retain Chris Capuano on 1-year deal - December 16, 2014
- Girardi likes what he sees from A-Rod so far - December 10, 2014