New York Yankees long time workhorse CC Sabathia has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right knee injury. It was discovered last night after Sabathia complained of some discomfort in his knee. They sent him for an MRI and discovered a fluid build-up in his right knee. He did experience some swelling after his last two starts, but today it finally became a real issue. It might explain for his recent struggles on the mound, but he’s not making excuses for his poor performance over his last few starts. Sabathia had another rough outing last night, giving up four runs, three of which were homers. So far Sabathia is sporting 3-4 record and 5.28 ERA this season.
To fill his roster spot the team has recalled pitcher Matt Daley from Scranton and scratched pitcher Chase Whitley from his scheduled start today with the RailRiders. The obviously choice to fill in for Sabathia will be Alfredo Aceves according to manager Joe Girardi. Whitley has been flying under the radar in Scranton and could come up and be used as a starter or in long relief. Team also mentioned that Michael Pineda may not be ready till sometime in early June, leaving the team with just two opening day starters left in the rotation as we reach just the second week in May.
Latest posts by Nicholas Tarnowsky (see all)
- Alex Rodriguez now full-time DH says Cashman - December 16, 2014
- Yankees retain Chris Capuano on 1-year deal - December 16, 2014
- Girardi likes what he sees from A-Rod so far - December 10, 2014
- Bullpen questions with the departure of David Robertson - December 9, 2014
- Pettitte’s advice to A-Rod: Time to tell all - November 14, 2014