On Friday afternoon, the Yankees claimed Russ Canzler off waivers from the Indians. Canzler, 26, could potentially be the right-handed bat the Yankees needed and fill the role Andruw Jones served in 2012. Canzler has appeared in 29 major league games in his career. 3 in 2011 with Tampa Bay and 26 with Cleveland in 2012.
Last season with Cleveland, Canzler appeared in left-field and first base, so he could be a useful asset for the Yankees with that flexibility. He hit .269 last season in 97 plate appearances with 3 home runs and 11 RBIs. In the minors the last three seasons (2010-2012), he hit 61 home runs, so he has shown some decent power numbers. It will be interesting to see what he can give the Yankees in 2013.
To make room on the 40-man roster, the Yankees designated Chris Dickerson for assignment.
Latest posts by Matthew Golda (see all)
- Playoff Push: Yankees eliminated from playoff contention - September 26, 2013
- Playoff Push: Yankees 5 games back with 5 to go - September 25, 2013
- Playoff Push: Yankees remain 4 games back - September 24, 2013
- Playoff Push: Yankees drop to 4 games back after tough loss - September 23, 2013
- Playoff Push: Yankees remain 3 games back of Indians - September 22, 2013