The Yankees player of the week for the fourth week of the season goes to Phil Hughes. In a week where the Yankees bats were fairly quiet, Hughes stepped it up. Unfortunately, Hughes was not able to pick up a win this past week as he pitched two no-decision games; but his dominance showed as he was able to hold batters to a .265 BA in 13 IP; with a 2.77 ERA; 15 K’s; and a 1.23 WHIP.
A few weeks ago, talk was surrounding the media outlets, along with Twitter as to whether or not Hughes belongs in the rotation, or if he should go back to the bullpen where has been known to dominate. I will be honest and say that I was a supporter of sending him back to the bullpen, but if his last 3 outings are any indication as to the potential we all know Phil Hughes has, this could be a very big season for him. With Ivan Nova on the 15-day DL with elbow issues, the Yankees need Hughes to continue and build off his fantastic last 3 games.
What are your thoughts on the Player of the Week chosen for the week April 22 through April 28? If you could pick someone else, who would you pick and why? Leave your comments in the section below.
- David Phelps (2.25 ERA; 4 IP; 2 H; 9 Ks)
- Ichiro Suzuki (.364 BA; 8 H; .417 OBP; .780 OPS)
- Robinson Cano (.296 BA; 8 H; 2 2B; 2 HRs; 4 RBI)
- Mariano Rivera (2.25 ERA; 4 IP; 5 Ks; 4 SV)
- Joba Chamberlain (0.00 ERA; 3 IP; 3 H; 1 K)
* * * * * * * *
Follow Brian on Twitter @Brian_Capozzi
Latest posts by Brian Capozzi (see all)
- Mick Kelleher’s Man of the Week – Carlos Beltran - April 14, 2014
- Mick Kelleher’s Man of the Week – Yangervis Solarte - April 7, 2014
- 2013 BronxPinstripes.com End-of-Year MLB Awards - November 11, 2013
- This day in history | 1996 - November 5, 2013
- Yankees Player of the Week: June 24-June 30 - July 1, 2013