The 2013 season is not off to a promising start for Phil Hughes. The big righty who is looking to have a breakout season in his contract-year is sidelined with a bulging disk in his upper back.
Shutdown for a week, Hughes has not gotten back into a throwing program like he thought he would. For now, he’s been limited to working out in a pool. YES Network’s Meredith Marokovits said that Hughes is pain free and off anti-inflammatories, but has no plans to start throwing.
Many fans criticized Hughes for perhaps a lack of conditioning since he fell to injury this early in Spring Training. According to CBSsports Jon Heyman, the question of whether Hughes is in shape or not is not the issue.
phil hughes iffy to start year. #yankees people were pleased at his shape and pitches. if anything, maybe tried 2 hard
Joe Girardi admittedly said that “it’s possible” that Hughes will start the season on the disabled list. Since It’s the end of February, and the Yankees still have time, they will likely be very cautious. If Hughes does go on the DL, either David Phelps or Ivan Nova would most likely step in.
Latest posts by Rich Kaufman (see all)
- Torre elected to the Hall, Steinbrenner falls short - December 9, 2013
- Robinson Cano signs with Seattle - December 6, 2013
- Yankees to re-sign Hiroki Kuroda - December 6, 2013
- Yankees to sign Jacoby Ellsbury - December 3, 2013
- Source: Ellsbury rumored to arrive in New York - December 3, 2013