Today is the final day of the Winter Meetings down in Nashville, and BronxPinstripes will be providing continuing coverage all day, so make sure to check back for updates on news and rumors!
- Update 10:00 AM: The biggest news so far today revolves around former Yankee enemy Kevin Youkilis. In what has become a shrinking third-baseman market, the Yankees are turning to Youkilis to be Arod’s replacement and backup when he returns sometime next summer. According to sources, the Yanks have offered Youk a 1-year deal worth $12 million, which equals the same amount he made last season. Youk is also weighing offers from other teams, most notably the Cleveland Indians, who have reportedly offered more years, but less money. The manager of Cleveland is Terry Francona, Youkilis’ former skipper with Boston, so that may be enough to lure him to Ohio. However, Youkilis wants to win and win now, and the money seems to be right with NY. Youkilis is expected to make a decision soon, and the Yankees would like to cross another need off their offseason checklist – stay tuned.
- Updated 1:30 PM: The Seattle Mariners and Jason Bay agreed to contract terms that will pay Bay $1M in base salary for 2013, with the chance to make $2M more in incentives, according to Joel Sherman. Bay signed a 4 year, $66M contract with the Mets before the 2010 season but struggled in his three years in New York. Bay and the Mets worked out a deal last month that terminated Bay’s contract, but he will still receive the $21M left on his deal. If Bay reaches his incentives with Seattle, he will make $24M—not bad for a guy that has hit a total of 26 home runs since the 2009 season. The Yankees were never reported to be in on Bay, despite looking for another corner outfielder. –@Yankees_talk
Latest posts by Rich Kaufman (see all)
- Torre elected to the Hall, Steinbrenner falls short - December 9, 2013
- Robinson Cano signs with Seattle - December 6, 2013
- Yankees to re-sign Hiroki Kuroda - December 6, 2013
- Yankees to sign Jacoby Ellsbury - December 3, 2013
- Source: Ellsbury rumored to arrive in New York - December 3, 2013