As well as John Ryan Murphy has played since being called up, the Yankees had to make to right move today. Francisco Cervelli was activated from the 60-day disabled list and optioned Murphy back to Triple-A Scranton, where he will be the everyday catcher for the RailRiders and continue to work. Cervelli had been getting some good work in at first base while on assignment, and will probably be another option off the bench as a backup to Mark Teixeira.
We are all aware the trade deadline is slowly approaching, and the team will be looking for starting pitching, but who is being dangled as trade bait right now? Gary Sanchez’s stock seems to have fallen inside the organization, and there have been some rumblings that Cervelli will not be put on the trade block. GM Brian Cashman will have some decisions to make if he decides to package up one of these catchers in a deal for some pitching.
Latest posts by Nicholas Tarnowsky (see all)
- Yankees get Gonzalez Germen from the Mets - December 19, 2014
- Yankees trade Prado and Phelps to Marlins for Nathan Eovaldi, Garrett Jones - December 19, 2014
- Alex Rodriguez now full-time DH says Cashman - December 16, 2014
- Yankees retain Chris Capuano on 1-year deal - December 16, 2014
- Girardi likes what he sees from A-Rod so far - December 10, 2014