The Yankees looked like they were on the way to another win early on. Hiroki Kuroda pitched well, but once turned over to the bullpen things got ugly. Especially for left handed reliever Cesar Cabral. Cabral could not find the strike zone or record an out to save his life. He ended up hitting 3 batters and was ejected from the game just as manager Joe Girardi was about to pull him off the mound.
Cabral had is ERA skyrocket to 27.00 and Girardi had almost nothing to say about his performance in the post game. Shortly after the game the Yankees designated the 25-year old lefty for assignment. Not a surprise seeing how the bullpen has been very solid over the last 7 games. To fill the roster spot the team has called up the right handed reliever Matt Daley. Daley had appeared in 7 games last year, tossing 6 scoreless innings total. His biggest career highlight came in the final the home game last season, when he took over for Mariano Rivera to end the game.
On a side note, the team has also activated Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A Scranton. Aceves his hopefully working his way up the ladder and back onto the big league roster. If he looks good, he could be a valuable asset in the bullpen later on in the season.
Latest posts by Nicholas Tarnowsky (see all)
- Alex Rodriguez now full-time DH says Cashman - December 16, 2014
- Yankees retain Chris Capuano on 1-year deal - December 16, 2014
- Girardi likes what he sees from A-Rod so far - December 10, 2014
- Bullpen questions with the departure of David Robertson - December 9, 2014
- Pettitte’s advice to A-Rod: Time to tell all - November 14, 2014