Hello, all. Going to try something different this year, with a running post of the day-to-day updates from Major League Baseball’s Winter Meetings in Nashville. There has been a couple big pieces of news so far, and more is sure to come throughout the day. The BronxPinstripes crew will be updating here throughout the day as more information leaks out of the Winter Meetings.
- Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez will miss part of the 2013 season. It was revealed earlier today that A-Rod requires surgery on his left hip and will miss three to six months.
- The Boston Red Sox have signed C Mike Napoli to a three year, $39 million contract. The move solidifies Boston behind the plate, and reportedly does not take them out of the running for former Yankee Nick Swisher.
- Blue Jays claimed C Eli Whiteside off waivers from the Yankees. Updated 2:23
- Update 2:36 PM: The Yankees have been talking with the agent for outfielder Scott Hairston. However, no deal even close to likely, as Hairston is reportedly looking for at least two years and $10 million. Also worth noting that the Yankees have started to let it be known that Freddy Garcia won’t be back. No surprise there.
- Update: 4:50 PM: In response to the news that Rodriguez will have hip surgery, Mark Teixeira sounds off on Twitter.
Latest posts by Dan Pfeiffer (see all)
- Gary Sanchez benched in Trenton for disciplinary reasons - June 13, 2014
- Peter O’Brien’s ‘easy power’ drawing comparisons to all-time greats - May 23, 2014
- Thunder Manager Tony Franklin sets Eastern League wins record - May 10, 2014
- Down on the Farm: BronxPinstripes’ Top 20 Prospects - March 3, 2014
- Baseball America Releases Top-10 Yankees Prospect List - December 9, 2013