The Yankees may not have gotten Ryan Dempster, but they didn’t stay completely silent at the deadline. Joel Sherman of the New York Post is reporting that the Yankees have acquired 3B Casey McGehee from the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for RP Chad Qualls.
McGehee, 29, has experience playing both third base and first base, and should give the Yankees a solid bat in a platoon with Eric Chavez until Alex Rodriguez returns, at which point he can provide a nice bat off the bench. He was hitting .230 with eight home runs and 35 RBI in 92 games with the Pirates this season. Against left-handed pitching though, McGehee has an above-average .807 OPS this season.
On the Yankees end, it’s a very good deal. Qualls was expendable, as he would have likely lost his roster spot when Joba Chamberlain returns in the near future. He had appeared in eight games with the Yankees, and was sporting a 6.14 ERA.
Latest posts by Dan Pfeiffer (see all)
- Yankees Affiliate Honored as ‘Team of the Year’ - October 31, 2013
- Potential Milestones: September 2, 2013 - September 2, 2013
- Interviews | Mason Williams - September 1, 2013
- Yankees Promotion Decisions Looming as September Approaches - August 31, 2013
- Potential Yankees Milestones: August 30, 2013 - August 30, 2013