Phil Hughes told reporters during last night’s rain delay (and eventual rain out) that he felt ready to go and could be used out of the bullpen for Thursday’s Game 4 after experiencing back stiffness in the 4th inning of Game 3.
However, one has to wonder if the Yankees would be wise to hold Hughes back as the potential starter for Game 7 — if the series gets that far along. His record at home this year is much better than anything he has done on the road, with his earned run average being a full run lower on the road. Additionally, any hope for using C.C. Sabathia in Game 7 evaporated with the rain last night according to [Yankees GM] Brian Cashman.
Considering the injury, it would certainly be a risk to roll with Hughes if the Yankees get to Game 7. Unfortunately, Joe Girardi may not have another option, as it could be that much more risky if the Yankees were forced to go with David Phelps or Derek Lowe instead.
Follow Dan on Twitter at @danpfeiffer74.
Latest posts by Dan Pfeiffer (see all)
- Severino, Lindgren unlikely to be promoted in 2014 - August 31, 2014
- Luis Severino hits the DL with oblique injury - August 9, 2014
- BronxPinstripes’ Mid-season Top 15 Prospects - July 29, 2014
- Gary Sanchez benched in Trenton for disciplinary reasons - June 13, 2014
- Peter O’Brien’s ‘easy power’ drawing comparisons to all-time greats - May 23, 2014