Andy Pettitte left Wednesday’s game in the 5th inning after taking a line drive off the bat of Casey Kotchman to the left ankle. Pettitte went down instantly, though managed to convince Joe Girardi and the training staff to let him remain in the game. After a few warm-up pitches, Pettitte threw just one pitch to the next batter before being removed. He did appear to be limping as he left the field.
Pettitte was replaced by Cody Eppley. There has been no word yet on how severe the injury is.
Update: Pettitte has been diagnosed with a fractured ankle. He’ll miss at least six weeks, though surgery won’t be required. Adam Warren will likely take one of the two roster spots now open. My guess is that D.J. Mitchell is a safe bet for the other, at least until David Phelps is finished being stretched out.
Latest posts by Dan Pfeiffer (see all)
- Yankees Affiliate Honored as ‘Team of the Year’ - October 31, 2013
- Potential Milestones: September 2, 2013 - September 2, 2013
- Interviews | Mason Williams - September 1, 2013
- Yankees Promotion Decisions Looming as September Approaches - August 31, 2013
- Potential Yankees Milestones: August 30, 2013 - August 30, 2013