April 9, 1996
It was a cold, snowy Opening Day in the Bronx. The Yankees defeated the Kansas City Royals, 7-3. Starter Andy Pettitte allowed 3R in 6.1IP (6H, 2BB), earning the win. Newcomers Joe Girardi, replacing Mike Stanley, and Tino Martinez, replacing Don Mattingly, get booed during pregame introductions. Girardi goes 1-for-5 batting in the second spot and rookie shortstop Derek Jeter goes 1-for-3 hitting ninth.
Latest posts by Brian Capozzi (see all)
- Mick Kelleher’s Man of the Week – Carlos Beltran - April 14, 2014
- Mick Kelleher’s Man of the Week – Yangervis Solarte - April 7, 2014
- 2013 BronxPinstripes.com End-of-Year MLB Awards - November 11, 2013
- This day in history | 1996 - November 5, 2013
- Yankees Player of the Week: June 24-June 30 - July 1, 2013