April 9, 1996
It was a cold, snowy Opening Day in the Bronx. The Yankees defeated the Kansas City Royals, 7-3. Starter Andy Pettitte allowed 3R in 6.1IP (6H, 2BB), earning the win. Newcomers Joe Girardi, replacing Mike Stanley, and Tino Martinez, replacing Don Mattingly, get booed during pregame introductions. Girardi goes 1-for-5 batting in the second spot and rookie shortstop Derek Jeter goes 1-for-3 hitting ninth.
Latest posts by Brian Capozzi (see all)
- Thank You, Captain Jeter - September 25, 2014
- This Day In Yankees History | 1978 - July 2, 2014
- Derek Jeter’s ‘The Dive’ Happened 10 Years Ago Today - July 1, 2014
- Mick Kelleher’s Man of the Week – Carlos Beltran - April 14, 2014
- Mick Kelleher’s Man of the Week – Yangervis Solarte - April 7, 2014