Each Monday during the 2013 season, I will be selecting a player of the week for the Yankees from Monday to Sunday from the previous week. There is no requirement for this selection. The only requirement is that the player contributed the most during the week, whether it’s an offensive player hitting .400 on the week, or a starting pitcher having a dominating performance or two throughout the week, or even a reliever blowing hitters away.
For week 1 of the 2013 season, the player of the week is goatee-less Kevin Youkilis. In his 1st week in pinstripes, Youkilis was quick to shut the haters up. In six games, he batted a solid .409, with 4 doubles, a home run, and 4 RBI’s. He not only drove runners in with his bat, he scored 4 runs himself. When he wasn’t getting on base, he was hitting the ball hard all over the field. After the 1st week of the season, Youk is leading the Yankees in BA (.409); OBP (.480); SLG (.727); and OPS (1.207). I will admit that when the Yanks first signed Youkilis, I questioned the move. It did not take long for him to prove me and the other fans wrong. He is going to have a fantastic year with the bombers.
Do you agree or disagree with this choice? If you could select someone else, who would you pick and why? Please leave comments below.
1) Francisco Cervelli (.308 BA; .438 OBP; 1 HR; 5 RBI)
2) Andy Pettitte (1 W; 8 IP; 1.13 ERA; 1.13 WHIP)
3) Vernon Wells (.294 BA; .429 OBP; 2 HR; 4 RBI)
4) Travis Hafner (.350 BA; .409 OBP; 1 HR; 2 RBI)
Latest posts by Brian Capozzi (see all)
- Mick Kelleher’s Man of the Week – Carlos Beltran - April 14, 2014
- Mick Kelleher’s Man of the Week – Yangervis Solarte - April 7, 2014
- 2013 BronxPinstripes.com End-of-Year MLB Awards - November 11, 2013
- This day in history | 1996 - November 5, 2013
- Yankees Player of the Week: June 24-June 30 - July 1, 2013