In a week that found the Yankees struggle to click offensively, where the pitching staff kept the team in most of the games to give the offense a chance, the Yankees player of the week for May 28-June 2 is CC Sabathia. After losing 5 straight games, including an abysmal 4 game series against the Mets (2 games at Citi Field, 2 games at Yankee Stadium), Carsten Charles stepped onto the mound on Friday evening to give the Yankees one of his best performances of the season.
Sabathia threw 7.1 IP of 1 run baseball, allowing Robertson and Rivera to shut the door for a 4-1 victory against rival Boston. CC allowed 6 hits, while tying his season high mark of 10 strikeouts, and walking none. Sabathia lowered his ERA to 3.71, on the season and was able to escape May with a victory, going 1-2 for the month, with 3 no-decisions.
The lefty hurler seemed to find a little more juice on his fastball on Friday evening. Up until his most recent start, Sabathia’s fastball was sitting in the 89-91 MPH range. During this start, his fastball was consistently sitting in the the 92-94 MPH range. When asked about his increased velocity, Sabathia was quoted as saying:
I felt a little better, but I couldn’t really tell. I definitely felt like I got a couple swings and misses on my fastball and a couple guys were late, so it was definitely coming out a little better.
Jon Lester, the Red Sox ace who faced off against Sabathia on Friday night, had nothing but positives to say in regards to Sabathia’s performance:
You don’t really expect anything less from him. I know he hasn’t really pitched well — or probably up to his standards — the past couple, so you knew coming in with us being here he was going to step it up and throw a good game, and he did that tonight. He threw the hell out of the ball tonight.
- Hiroki Kuroda (2.19 ERA; 12.1 IP; 12 Ks; 0.97 WHIP)
- Preston Claiborne (0.00 ERA; 3.1 IP; 3 Ks; 0.90 WHIP)
- Jayson Nix (.353 BA; 6 H; 3 RBI; .742 OPS)
- Ichiro Suzuki (.381 BA; 8 H; 1 RBI; .790 OPS)
- Robinson Cano (.280 BA; 7 H; 2 RBI; 1 HR; .733 OPS)
* * * * * * * *
Follow Brian on Twitter @Brian_Capozzi
Latest posts by Brian Capozzi (see all)
- Thank You, Captain Jeter - September 25, 2014
- This Day In Yankees History | 1978 - July 2, 2014
- Derek Jeter’s ‘The Dive’ Happened 10 Years Ago Today - July 1, 2014
- Mick Kelleher’s Man of the Week – Carlos Beltran - April 14, 2014
- Mick Kelleher’s Man of the Week – Yangervis Solarte - April 7, 2014